Monday, March 3, 2008

28 Feb 2008 Letter from Jacob


Dear Frost Family!

I apologize for this purple ink. I forgot my pen and paper and this kind sister was sweet enough to hand me this material. Apparently, I did not know that the laundry room has computers and tables to write on.

The 1st week has gone really well, since day one. I have not have any trouble sleeping. The 1st 3 days was hard because it was all classes but now it becoming a routine and I finally get to play gym! It feel weird not being able to reply immediately to numerous of your letters (by the way, keep up with a good work). I can only blame the cell phone.

The food has been so-so so far. Sometime it was good sometime it was okay. You can't expect great food when they are focus on feeding 2,000 missionaries. IT feel great not to clean the cafeteria afterward! I"m also gaining weights! (muscle, not fats mind you). Sorry Kyle, I'm heavier than you now.

I'm so sorry you did not go to the state Kyle, I know how hard you work but keep up with the hard work, you will get a success that you want. Don't give up. How was "heck" week?

I'm getting along with my companions well. Elder Grow turn out to be a big goofy elder but know when it time to get serious. He love NBA. Elder Tritsch know a lot about scriptures and is very smart but you know that happen with smart people? They talk, a lot. So it not surprising he had become an annoyance to some Elders (and a sister). He still is like able and I'm still striving to love all my companions. Don't worry, I'm striving to be humble.


As you know, there are 7 elders and 2 sisters now who is doing ASL. 3 to Ft. Lauderdale, one to Texas, one to California, and 2 to NY (one is going south). I think both of the sisters are going to Salt Lake Temple (one is and I don't know about another one because we haven't met her. She came yesterday.)

Two elders have already left for Houston, Texas (they wait at the MTC for 1 more week). They were really funny and fun to learn from. You'll see them in the pictures and video. They are Elder Perry and Elder Olson. They were a true role model. They have been in the MTC for 2 months and a half and they had a firm grasp of ASL already! The reason is they study hard, work hard, and pray for help.

There are only 3 deaf Elders. Me, Elder Fraser, and Elder McMullin. They both can speak and only Elder McMullin know ASL. The reast is hearing (except Elder Grow, he wish he deaf now, he tired of listening to Elder Tritsch. I never though being deaf is a blessing!)

We have four teachers, 2 hear and 2 deaf. The hearing did not know ASL before they went in to the MTC so it impressive to see they know a lot. Both deaf wore cochlear implant but only one wear it full time, the other one wear it at home. They all successfully serve a mission and they know what to teach. They taught a lot about deaf cultures, ASL, and how to use Preach My Gospel. ASL is going along great and perhaps my biggest challenge is getting used to its grammar structure. It follows a radically different rules from English. ASL ignore bridge words such as the, as, a, an, etc. It only focus on real words and you also say it differently in different orders. I'm still learning much and the teachers is doing a good job. The rest is up to me and the Lord.

I went to the temple this morning and it was a video service. As usual, CC and sign language. I'm focus only on CC. Oh well! We will go to the temple every Thursday morning (P-Day). The rest of the week has been busy as we wake up at 6 and don't go to be until 10:30pm. It usually classes all day. I'm learning a lot.

Elder Grow is just silly. Everyone love him. One time, me and Elder Tritsch went to the bathroom. The rest was in the classroom but they all soon left for the bathroom and water break, leaving him alone in the classroom. Just a few seconds later he went out to the hallway and walked up to me saying, "I almost died! The devil almost got me!" He just crack everyone up.

The weather has been really nice, today is like 50 and sunny. The mountains look spectacular in snow. Wow, the beauty is awe inspiring.

The Magelby gave me my first care box! It was granola bars (Nature Valley) and Shirley's cinnamon rolls. I shared the rolls with everyone in my district but I keep the bars for nighttime snacks. Hey, I deserve some rewards!

Now to my Family:

Christy and Reza - That suck being sick all week. Missionary probably love to have a sick day every once in a while to rest but I feel I want to make every day count on my mission. Study hard and have fun in Mexico, don't bu their cheap drugs!

Jenny and Kevin - Study hard Kevin, teach well Jenny. Be good parents to my soon to be niece (Bertha - Dad add this part!)

Mom and Dad - I love you both and just continue to support my decision and praise me. I hope you get a job you want Dad and I hope you finish Grampa's flag holder. If you're bored Mom, grammar check my book, it a lot of fun :-)

Kyle - Good luck with lacrosse, work hard, and be a good sportsmanship. If your parents need your help, Obey! Be nice to Tanner.

Tanner - I'm sorry that you lost every game in basketball but you play really well in all those games. You didn't get frustrated or angry, keep going with that attitude! Work on your fumbler skills when I get back. Be nice to Kyle. Remember, if you do not want to fight him, always back off, go to your room, and come out with a baseball bat! Seriously, don't fight, love your brother!

Grandma Frost - Thank you so much for writing me letters, it nice to know that you support me and wonder how I'm doing on my mission.

Next week, I will use email and I will be able to explain more. Thank you very much for all your letters and love. I know what I'm doing here to bring God's children to him. I have received so many blessings that I want to share with the Yankee's. I know the church is true and the Book of Mormon is true. I love you all!

Elder Frost

3 comments:

JKThomas said...

well it sounds like he is doing well but i expect my part to be much longer next time!

Christy said...

that kid sure does like to write.

Julie said...

Having typed up hand-written letters from missionaries, I know how much work that is--and my kids only wrote about a third of that!
Was that you, Pam?
Great letter--he sounds wonderful. We shot the wad as far as treats are concerned, what else should we send?
(PS--the dissertation is now on Ohio soil--everybody pray!)