I contacted a man on Sunday who was wearing a Ohio state sweatshirt. I ask him if he was a buckeye fan. He said with firm conviction, "of course." His body was beginning to get taunt up, ready to go on defense mode in case I was a Michigan fan, hell-bent on killing every single buckeye on sight. I reply with a smile, "me too." He sigh heavily, wiping the sweat of his forehead. I ask him what was the score of the game yesterday. He reply slowly to savor the words coming out his mouth, "37 to 7." Oohh. I'm not sure if that 27 or 37 but regardless, pure domination. I hope they keep their coach for one more year. That brighten up my day.
Much of the description above are not true (I'm checking to see if I still have my writing skill. It still a little bit rusty) but a question about the outcome of the game is a true story.
Happy Thanksgiving! Tomorrow, we had three options for a thanksgiving dinner, we could eat with a investigator (most likely). If juke, we have a member. If he can't then we will call the senior couple who will whole heartily invite us over. Pretty much cover. I'm excited for tomorrow, it will be a nice day.
My comp, Elder Foniciello, is a nice guy. He is from Belgium, born and raised. His mom is American and she went to Belgium on her mission. She met a man, baptized him and after her mission, came back to married him. His father was born in Italy, moved to South Africa for a long time and then moved to Belgium. So my companion grew up speaking French and English. People are surprised to hear that he is from Belgium because he does not have a accent at all. It was also funny as I ask him all sort of questions about European cultures and foods and stuff. He doesn't know much because he grew up in a America environment even though he lived in a middle of Europe.
Everything in Manhattan is pretty much dirty. Lots of people from outside of America are living here. Unfortunately, almost everyone in our ward is American and come from the west. We tried our best not to stereotype the people we are teaching but it happen almost everytime. I hate that feeling. It fun to admire the art skill of graffiti, share a subway with a lot of interesting people, get dogs barking at us, punk boys making fun of us, city girls flirting 'at' us. Yay city! We have been having a pretty good week. We taught a man who was referred by a missionary. His name was David and his twin sister is a mormon. As we were talking to him, he was trying to figure out the name of the missionaries that he met. We start asking him all sort of questions to find out what they look like. Finally, I ask, "are they fat?" He reply with a surprise look on his face, "what? they are the sister missionaries!" My companion could not stop laughing, realizing I unintentionally label the sisters fat. Oops.
Another stories that happen on Monday. A former investigator called my companion, telling him that she want to learn more about the church again. My comp was very cautious because one time, they (before me) knock on her door and she answer the door completely naked. She is also over 30 years old, too old to be in our ward. We arranged to meet her at the church intending to teach her and then give it to another elders. An hour before we were suppose to meet her, she called us, saying she might not be able to make it because she is experiencing a stomach pain. My companion was like "great" and just ask her what she studying on. She said she is learning french or something like that. My comp said, "I know french, I'm from Belgium." She said "that awesome, you know what, I might be able to come to church now." A little bit strange reverse decision. We met her and she was explaining her stories about going to different churches, never feeling satisfy. Then she came to our church like three times and recently witness the baptism and love the members. We ran out of time and arrange to meet her again tomorrow. Yesterday, we finish the lesson and she said she want to be baptize and already know the church is true and love the people. She is a strange woman (she is wearing three watches on one wrist) but she said she want to be baptize. Cool enough for me.
I am reaching a point on my mission where I am very confident in myself to be a successful missionary. Now I am only missing one key thing to help me truly be the kind of missionary I want to be. Charity. It has been a ongoing struggle, to love the people unconditionally. Depend on how my days went, my attitude would reflect that. If everything is going very well, I am loving the people. If everything become poopy, I will start hating the people and Michigan. The true test of charity is to love the people, every day. It requires a lot of prayer and being honest with myself. I know charity is a gift from God and we must be worthy of it.
I love you all, I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving. Don't go shopping on Black Friday, people actually died!
I LOVE YOU ALL
love
Elder Frost
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment