Hahaha, it good to hear that things are crazy back home. Here in New York, it was pretty tame until last night when people got crazy about Obama winning. At approximately 11 pm, people were whooping, yelling, jumping on the car, and even fire a gun in the air! Of course, I did not know about it until this morning when they inform me. Good thing I was deaf! Elder Jolley said it continued until 3 so he could not sleep until that time. Another good thing I was deaf! This morning, people are surprisingly calm about it but almost all the newspaper are sold out. America decided and I wish Obama the best of luck as he lead this country next year.
Thanks you so much for the care package mom, I enjoy it! Let you know, that shoe box fit in my mail box perfectly! I don't have to walk twenty minutes to the nearest post office to pick it up!
Another good week of missionary work. The deaf expo was a huge success. We got 36 address but most of it are in New Jersey. We woke up and left our apartment at 7:30 with President Darger, the 1st counselor of Mission presidency. He drove to new Jersey and let us get to see the Giants/Jet stadium. Why is America so obsessed about building a new stadium next to the old one? The Yankees, the Cowboys, the Mets, and now the Giants/Jets? It was cool and I took few pictures of it. The Buckeyes stadium was more bigger! The deaf expo was close by and it was inside a expo building. We set up our tables with tv, tons of movies, pamphlets, cards, flyers, etc. We made three posters to advertise our church. There was about 50 booths and at it fullest capacity, about at least one thousands deaf show up. Most of the deaf were from New Jersey and Pennsylvania. We set it up at 9 o'clock. The tables was set up in rectangular position and there was five huge booth in the middle. Those five huge booths was occupied by special telephone company for the deaf. I will try to draw a picture
-------------------------------------------------
entrance [] [] [] [] []
& Exit -------------------------------------------------
Our table was in the bottom line, in the middle. Each dash represent a booth. Sorenson took up the booth closest to the entrance (very smart). One of the telephone company offer a portable VP that you can take anywhere, like a cellphone. Very cool. The numbers of people start slow. The deaf were cautious at first, thinking we are just another church. They start to warm up when they notice we were friendly and that we were not forcing anyone. That or they noticed they can have a lot of free things from our table (such as Finding faith through Christ, Joy to the World, Restoration, Book of Mormon stories, Book of Mormon ASL translation, tons of pamphlets). We teach when we can and in the afternoon, the south mission took over. Huge success. New Jersey should have a deaf branch set up in the future. There a lot of potential because there are so many deaf. I was very impressed how clean the New Jersey air was, make me wish I work here. We took up the bus and went all the way to Manhattan (ten minutes away). It was a lot of fun and I enjoy it tremendously. There was one deaf woman who obviously don't like us and told us she will bring her preacher to fix us up. The preacher never came.
On monday, we had a zone conference. The topic of the zone conference was teaching simple and pure doctrine to our investigator. They stress that when we teach, we do not teach the what. We need to teach the why. Meaning, we have to make the doctrine personal to people, help them see why the doctrine are true and why god set it up. When we teach them, we need to think about why , why it is important, why is it so special, why we need it. That way, the holy ghost can testify more because it force the investigator to think and ponder. It was really powerful and I know the lord inspire President Searle for that. This is what we need in the ASL program. Because we have few investigator, it important that we teach with the spirits.
Since the zone conference was in China Town, Elder Jolley and I had to take up the D train to get there. Our stop was the last stop in Manhattan. Somehow, we forgot to get off and before we know it, the full city of Manhattan was in view. The underground train went through the Manhattan Bridge and it was very cool as we can see everything. The statue of Liberty can be seen in distance and the skyscraper of the Manhattan was just impressive. Don't worry, I took pictures and video of everything! Never mind that we stop in Brooklyn, outside of our mission area. Elder Jolley felt bad while I was excited. Took the train back and get to see Manhattan again. I got to tell you, it was awesome. When we come back as a family, I will take you to the D train and we will see what I saw. Oh, so cool!
WE have three can of bug spray so if we see coakroach, there will be no mercy!
Elder Jolley and I are getting along very along. We had some difference but it was quickly forgiven. He does a awesome job getting along with people and being very friendly. He want to do his best and for that reason, he is clearly the lord servant.
I hardly can't beleive how much time went by. I'm having a blast here in the mission. Though the work is hard, I'm enjoying every minute of it and I'm writing my journal everyday! So far, I have never missed a day from start of my mission! To answer your question from couple weeks ago, yes I do remember the old man cave cabin or something like that. It was fun though we had to wake up at like 5 in the morning. Hey dad, remember I try to tell a scary story from the Foxtrot comic? That was weird!
Due to time constraint,(i have four minutes left) I will hold scripture of the week. I know the work is true and I know the Lord has send me here for a purpose. Pray together as family often and read your scripture everyday. I noticed people who are less active are less active because they did not read everyday. Read it everyday, it the keys to your worthiness, especially from the Book of Mormon!
I LOVE YOU AND I KNOW THE GOSPEL IS TRUE!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment