Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Baptism

wow, wow, I can't hardly believe about hurricane Ike. I will look at the pictures shortly. We also had hurricane here in new york. It was not bad, but it rain all day so my shoes was completely soaked and my feet was all pruny and blue (from the socks). It was fun though even though we had no success in that day. I can't believe there are no school for a week, a Hurrican week! Enjoy Kyle and Tanner, soon school will come back.

To answer your question mom. ASL elders do get to serve in Upstate New York, just today, Elder Westra, my father, got transfere to Upstate. Right now, we have 9 ASL elders and 1 sisters, only six are serving in ASL. The other four is serving in english program. President Searle make sure we all get transfere to english program at one point or another based on the expereinced. About a year ago, we only had two elders serving their full mission in ASL and not surprisingly, the ASL program was almost in disarray. Now that the elders are routinely being transfere, it good to have a different experience. In fact, it appear that serving in english will benefit the ASL more. We have one elder who recently serve for four cycle and he brought with him tons of expereince and ideas that has greatly improve the program. It look like each elder will get their turn starting from oldest to youngest. Because I'm the 2nd youngest, serving in english probably won't happen for a long time. As for right now, there are much to do and i'm totally focus to help build up the Branch. Upstate is a popular destination (lots of dinner appointment!) but right now, a sister is currently serving in Manhattan, one elder in the bronx and two other Upstate. It all good and fun.

As you all probably know, we recently had a baptism this sunday. It was truly wonderful and I felt the spirit. Three faithful souls was baptized on that day. President and sister Searle even show up! If you were truly witnessing the baptism, you might be a little shock by the deaf culture. Moise Jaques (MJ), our Branch Mission Leader told the three deaf who is getting baptized if they are ready to swim! During the baptisms, the deaf branch apostazize quite a bit. They cheer and clap! Well, needless to say, it went wonderful. I'm sure President Searle chuckle a few time. It was all good and the three faithful soul testify how happy they felt and how grateful they are to be clean.

My companion for three cycle is getting transfere to upstate. He truly deserve a break from the ASL because he have been serving in the same area for almost a year now and it quite evident that he is becoming crazy. Aren't we all? I have learn a lot from him. I learn to have more charity, to think slow and cautious, to set up realistic goals and how to truly love the members. I'm will be grateful and now I'm looking forward to learning new things from elder Jolley, my new companion. Elder Jolley is a big jolley fella. When he enter the mission, he weigh about 270 pounds and now he down to 225. He had told me that the Lord has truly chose the New York north for a reason for him. He has been serving here for about eight months now but he has a lots of experience. He is now the only elders in the district who has serve all the ASL areas (Manhattan, North Bronx, and South Bronx!). He very good with setting up plans and what to do. He is motivated and truly want to do the best he can. Together, we will find at least one people who is ready for the gospel for October baptism. Hopefully, we won't have any argument together. I had quite a few with Elder Westra but we are still good friend. I suppose no matter how much you like your companion, being together 24/7 will no doubt bring the worst out of you. People say that the mission will train you to be a better husband but how does being with your companion 24/7 help? I think all the mission does to train the elders is to avoid another companion at all cost after your mission because the prospect of "eternal" companion frighten them!

Pun Joke aside, I'm sure we will work out well together. I will let you know next week how that prophesy work out.

Scripture of the week!
2nd Nephi 32:8-9 I like how the Lord made it clear that it a commandment to pray always because if you're not praying, you are basically following satan. Pretty bold. Here in the mission, we talk about miracle all the time. I once heard the quote that said "Pray as if everything depend on the Lord. Work as if everything depend on you!" We pray to the lord always for miracle then we earn that miracle. If we want to find people who is ready for the gospel, we need to pray to the lord to help us find them then the lord will quide us with his spirit and we are expect to follow and work as hard as we can. When we do the best we can and prays always to help us find the people, we will find the people. It so simple, pray to the Lord of what you want to do, your goals, your future, your inspiration. If the intention is good, the lord will grant you strength to accomplished it. I testify that I know it true because last month, we were praying hard to the lord to help us find one person who is ready and we did everything we could. We tract, we search, we contact, we lace (get referalls) and after two weeks of hard work, we found her.

Though the buckeye has lost (quite badly), don't lose hope! I know the gospel is true and I know that through faith and work and humility, the Lord will help us find people who is ready. We just need to have confident to follow his prompting and open enough to listen it gentle prompting. I can't tell you how many times I felt I should talk to this specific person as they walk by but do not have a courage to do it. Just a few minutes later, I felt awful and it was too late. I'm striving to follow the spirits always and I know as I do so, the lord will guide us to find many people.

I LOVE YOU ALL!

p.s., regardless of the awful game last week, if the buckeye win, it will be good to hear about it.

No comments: